The eldest son of Cornelis Gijsbertsen van der Hoeven and Geertje van Vulpen. Probably born 1639/40 and named for his paternal grandfather, Gijsbert Hendricksen.
Gijsbert Cornelis van der Hoeven was probably involved in the purchase of some land in the Powell Patent of Kinderhook in 1668 and was certainly working there as a carpenter and builder by 1670.
There is no record of a marriage or children and no probable reference has been found after 1671.
1661 Travels to New Netherlands on De Bever (NYCM 14 :44)
1668 Sept 3 CMA 1:13
Theunis Diricxsz [van Vechten] cites Wynant Gerritsen [van Der Poel] and takes action to recover a debt of 332 boards and fl4 in beavers. Wynant Gerritsen claims he only owes half that amount and that the other half is owed by Gijsbert Cornelis who also signed the contract and bound himself for the payment. Wynant Gerritsen claims he has a power of attourney from Gijsbert Cornelis. Wynant Gerritsen also says he became surety to Gillis Petersz for house rent of 100 boards and that 75 of his boards have been attached by Symon the baker also for the house rent of Gijsbert Cornelis. The court asks for further proof at the next court day.
1668 Sept 17 CMA 1:17
The case continues and Wynant Gerritsen produces a deposition of Gijsbert Cornelisz which acknowledges that 'the matter to be in the hands of the plaintiff' [presumably he acknowledges the debt] On October 29 1668, the court finds for the plaintiff.
There is some speculation as to whether these two references relate to Gijsbert Cornelis van der Hoeven, as he is only referred to by his patronymic and some references to a Gijsbert Cornelis are known to refer to Gijsbert Cornelis van den Bergh who was also in Albany at the same time. However, Gijsbert Van der Bergh is referred to by his full name in the minutes of the session of 17 September (CMA1:20) which immediately follows the above case of Wynant Gerritsen in which Gijsbert Cornelis is involved, which suggests that the two Gijsberts were two separate people. Our Gijsbert Cornelis is known to have been involved in carpentry and building which would give him a link with the timber trade connections of Wynant Gerritsen. The reference to a Gijsbert Cornelis renting a house in the 3 Sept 1668 court entry would argue against this being a reference to van den Bergh as he was a long-established farmer in Albany with his own property. On the other hand, two daughters Wynant Gerritsen married into the van den Bergh family. Wynant Gerritsen van Der Poel had a sawmill on the east bank of the Hudson at a place that became known as 'Wynants Kill'.
1668/9 ERA 2:238
In a deed of 6 September 1684, Janetje Powell, widow of Thomas Powell, declares that she contracted to sell a parcel of woodland lying behind the Kinderhoek to Gijsbert Cornelis, Andries Hansen and Steven Koningh on March 5 1668/9. The land is on the north side of the old wagon road from the beginning of the kill to the Spiegel. She claims that the land was part of the 'Powell Patent' granted to her late husband on 13 April 1667.
The deed in ERA 2:201 provides more information: She has conveyed to Andries Hansen Scherp and Juriaen Calyer(husband of Elizabeth van der Hoeven) ;
"a parcel of woodland lying near Kinderhoek extending from Kinderhoek Kill westwards to the river on both sides of the path having the full breadth of the arable land and marsh(vley) specified in Powel's Patent containing two hundred acres which breadth continues down to the river"
The deed requires also Hansen and Calyer to convey to Stephen Coning their third part(s?) of the woodland lying on the north side of the path extending from the Spiegel to the marsh. (Probably the land in ERA 2:238) It would seem that Stephen Coninck had some claim to this land following his marriage to Geertje. The deed could grant the bigger area to Hansen and Calyer in return for giving up the land they bought in 1668/9.
Map of part of the Kinderhook Patent 1686 from 'A History of Old Kinderhook' by Edward A. Collier (G..Putnam's sons, New York. The Knickerbocker Press 1914).
The top of the map is East, with the Hudson river shown at the bottom edge. The book is available online.
The map shows the original Thomas Powell Patent and the divisions of the neighbouring De Bruyn Patent which has been sold as lots. The village of 'Groote Stuck', which became the town of Kinderhook is also shown. In 1669-71, the patent of Thomas Powell was subject to dispute between his widow and Robert Orchard of Boston.(see ERA 3:380 and CMA1:100,106), with Orchard arguing that the sale of the land, of which he was co-patentee, had been illegal. An agreement was reached in May 1671.
It's likely that some of the the van der Hoeven family lived in Groote Stuck in the 1670's and 80's as evidenced by the references in the Albany Court Minutes and they had close connections with a number of well-established Kinderhook families in this period - see the articles on Cornelis Cornelis and Jan Cornelis. In particular, see the case of the disappearance of Hendrick Gerritsen van der Meulen. The red dot in the top left corner indicates the probable position of the mill of Andries Jacobse at Valatie.
Several tracts of land owned by Andries Hansen[Scherp] and Juriaen and Michael Calyer/Caljer/Collier are labelled, but there is no record of property owned by the van der Hoeven family or Steven Jansen Conick on the map.
A hamlet named Sharptown still exists in this general area which may indicate the location of Andries Hansen's original landholding.
The names on the map were added from a number of sources at a much later date, based mainly on a list of the families from the patent document of 1686.
18 April 1669 CMA 1:66
Gijsbert Cornelis is mentioned in the case of Claes Bever vs Eldert Gerbertsz Cruyff. Gijsbert Cornelis 'at Kinderhook' has paid a beaver and fl3 in seawan to settle part of a debt between the two parties. The Kinderhook connection is repeated here and it is known with certainty that our Gijsbert Cornelis was working on some buildings for Laurence Van Alen at Kinderhook around this time. A Gijsbert Cornelis is named as 'van den Berch' in a minute of the same court session as a mediator in an earlier case.
10 Nov 1670 CMA 1:201
Gijsbert Cornelis presents a petition along with Andries Hansen [Scherp]. They complain that Laurens Van Alen has attached their grain in a dispute over the payment for some building work they have done. It seems Andries and Gijsbert have built a house, barn and barracks and Van Alen is unhappy with the work. He believes he has paid too much and mentions that he is not ready to take the property for another five months [start of farm work season the next year].
Andries and Gijsbert are evidently leasing the property and are to live there for a period as tenants. Jan Cornelius Root and Geurt Hendrixsz are appointed to appraise the work as they are also carpenters and the work shall be appraised again the end of the five-month period. Then, a proper settlement should be made taking into account the quality of work and rent for the house etc. Gijsbert is specifically named as Van Der Oeven. At the next court meeting, Laurens van Alen petitions the court for two more impartial carpenters to appraise the house barn and barracks 'behind Kinderhook' and Gillis Petersz and Claes van Rotterdam are chosen. This is the earliest definite reference to the surname in America.
There is no further mention of the case. Laurens van Alen had significant landholdings in Kinderhook and was presumably close enough to the farms of Gijsbert and Andries to attach their grain crop. Andries Hansen is mentioned several times in connection with other members of the van der Hoeven family and his descendants settled in an area still known as Sharptown.
1671 25 May CMA 1:250
Gijsbert van den Berch is named in full in the citations and minutes in the case immediately before that involving Cornelis Gijsbertsen vs Sturm and der Zee - again implying they were two separate people.
Gijsbert Cornelis sues Sturm van der Zee and demands 86 boards which he[van der Zee] should have delivered to Emmetie the bakeress and had not done. Gijsbert Cornelis is now required to deliver the boards to Laurens van Alen. Despite van der Zee's protests, the court finds for Gijsbert Cornelis.
Note : Again this is consistent with Gijsbert's involvement in building and is possibly connected with the case involving van Alen in the previous year. Emmetie was probably Femmetje Alberts, widow of Hendrick Jans Westercamp who lived in a house next to Anneke Schaets in Albany that Anneke subsequently let to Jan Cornelis van der Hoeven in 1681.
No later reference can be found for Gijsbert Cornelis and there is no record of a marriage or children. He is not named in the list of members of the Albany church in 1684 or his mother's will of December 1684. His younger brother, Cornelis Cornelis, is named in the list of people invited to the Funeral of Jeremias van Rensselaer in October 1674, which may indicate that Gijsbert had died by this date.